11.30.2011

let England suck

So.

Those year-end lists have started to appear - is it me or is it early this year? - and, depressingly unexpectedly, PJ Harvey's 'Let England Shake' is appearing all over them. More often than not, it's hovering in or around the Top 5 if not occupying the top spot itself.

"It's brave!" "It's thought-provoking!" "It's topical!" "It's !"

You know what it's not, though? One thing that's KIND of important for a record to be, it being a primarily audio-based art form?

Listenable.

Opinions and all, blah blah blah, but fuck it. This is a terrible record and any "best of" list that has it anywhere nearby is automatically invalidated.

6 comments:

Frau Bella said...

Haters gonna hate... Uh-Huh, Her...

jcf said...

You don't like it either. :P

Dingo said...

You started this when you bought her earlier work. Though I'm glad you've come around, you share in the blame. This has been your loving dose of snarkasm from the almighty dingo.

jcf said...

He who owns a collection of Coldplay CD singles should not throw stones. I believe that's how the saying goes.

But, yes, I had this coming to me.

Frau Bella said...

Lies! I said no such thing! There is no proof! I was on a boat with Natalie Wood at the time! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

jcf said...

Did you not surmise that Ms Wood was working for me? Had you not thought that, perhaps, the cocktails she was pouring for you - and pouring, and pouring, and pouring...you might want to consider a visit to Mrs. Ford, love - contained a powerful truth serum? Did it not cross your mind that, perhaps, the lovely dahlia on her lapel you were admiring contained a recording device? Check and mate, Ms. Frau. You hate this one as much as I do.