6.06.2008

while you were out

So it's been a while since I've posted anything. Nothing terribly interesting going on as late is the reason, really.

Joseph turned me on to Lorraine's 'When I Return To The World' single, which is pretty fucking fantastic, so I've been listening to that a lot lately. I gave Action another chance after they didn't totally fuck up my order for the Pop Levi 'Never Never Love' single, and now it's been two weeks since I ordered - among other things - Mark Morriss' "Memory Muscle" and Alphabeat's '10,000 Nights of Thunder' single and they still haven't even shipped it. [I'm thinking the new Notwist single is holding it up as it was quite limited. Fuckers.]

I've spent most of the past week reading the new Sonic Youth biography "Goodbye 20th Century". For a while, I've been thinking "it'd be nice to have an updated Sonic Youth biography as "Confusion Is Next" is going on [gulp] 15 years old at this point. [I remember getting it right when it came out, so that's kinda scary...] And boom, here one is. It's a good read - nothing revelatory, probably nothing you didn't already know if you've been paying attention to them, but entertaining nonetheless. [Actually, I did learn something - I knew Kim spent some of her early years in Rochester, but I didn't realize that Lydia Lunch was born here as well. So there you have it.] It also led me to digging out some of those old Sonic Youth records that I haven't listened to in ages - fuck, "Bad Moon Rising" is an AMAZING record, and I always forget that for some reason. Let's make a list, shall we? My five favorite Sonic Youth albums:

05 - Bad Moon Rising
04 - Confusion is Sex
03 - Sonic Youth EP
02 - Daydream Nation
01 - Goo [which is my favorite album ever]

Truthfully, as much as I do love "Daydream Nation" and am always in awe of it when I listen to it, I very rarely make it through the whole thing, and don't actually pull it out that often. It's a lot to take in all at once.

Yeah, that's what I got. Oh, here's the Lorraine video:



The end.

No comments: